Over the years, Marshall Scholarship has been financing young Americans as well as UK citizens of high ability to study for a degree in the United States and the United Kingdom. It is one of the most prestigious scholarships that is awarded to students in USA to study in UK. As a matter of fact, Marshall Scholarships is a gateway to strengthen the relationships of UK and USA. Furthermore, the students who wins the Marshall Scholarships serve as ambassadors. Additionally, they become future leaders who will play a positive role in developing the relations between 2 countries.
In addition, students who really wish to pursue their postgraduate studies in the United Kingdom are given this opportunity by Marshall Scholarship. On a yearly basis, almost 40 students are chosen by the Marshall Scholarship board. All this is possible at the graduate level to enable them pursue their studies in different institutions of UK. Thats not all, partnership scholars with specific universities of United Kingdom are also included in the awards given by Marshall Scholarships. These scholarships has programs for both one year and two years.
Background of Marshall Scholarships:
It was the Anthony Eden, the then British Foreign Secretary that gave the announcement of the plan to establish ‘Marshall Scholarships’. This was as a result of the living memorial to Secretary of State George Marshall on the 31st July of 1952. The following year, plans were put in place in 1953 by the Parliament of the UK when the Marshall Aid Commemoration Act was passed.
As at then, the people who wrote the scholarship proposal initially thought of partnering with the Rhodes scholarship. They also thought of selecting the same selection committee as at that time. But since the committee believed married men only under 28 years of age together with women should be given a chance. (Note that as then, Rhodes was only made available to single men under 25years). However, the idea of partnering with Rhodes was completely disregarded, regardless. You can see the comparison of Marshall scholarship vs Rhodes scholarship here.
How competitive is the UK Marshall Scholarship & Acceptance rate
Lets look at the Marshall Scholarship acceptance rate. There has been records to show that nearly 1,000 applicants apply for the Marshall Scholarship in recent years. Therefore, it is among the most selective graduate scholarship for American citizen. This scholarship program has an acceptance rate of about 4%, and as low as 3.2 percent in 2021 winners records.
What & What does the Marshall Scholarship UK pay for?
Transportation. All transportation fares as well as flight tickets for Marshall Scholars will be fully funded from their place of residence in the United States to their university in the UK. As can be seen above, the fares will completely cover economy class air travel in the United States. It will also take care of economy class transatlantic air fares plus standard class train fares in any part of the UK.
The Marshall Scholarship – 2021/2022
- PROGRAM: Postgraduate & PhD
- AWARD: Fully Funded, £30,000 for a year
- OFFERING TO: US Citizens
- UNIVERSITY / ORGANIZATION: UK Institutions under Marshall Scholarships
- DEADLINE: September 30, 2021
Eligibility Criteria for The Marshall Scholarships:
What are the Marshall Scholarship requirements? It simple; all prospective students who want to apply for the Marshall Scholarship is required to do a checklist of the following eligibility criteria.
- First & foremost, the applicant must be a citizen of United States of America
- At the time of scholarship, applicants is expected have their 4 year 1st undergraduate degree. This must come from a 4 year college or university in the United States at the time of receiving the Marshall Award by September 2021/2022.
- Thirdly, applicants must have obtained not less that 3.7 in their GPA (2:1) in their undergraduate degree. A 3.7 grade point is also required at the time of application. All otherwise GPA’s are not accepted by the Marshall Scholarship. So, the Marshall Scholarship GPA is 2:1.
- As an aspirant, you must have graduated after April 2020 from their first undergraduate college or university
- Lastly, all prospective applicant should not have studied for, or hold a degree or degree-equivalent qualification from a British University. They student should not have GCSE or A Levels taken at school in the United Kingdom
‘’DEGREES NOT FUNDED UNDER THE MARSHALL SCHOLARSHIP’’
- Second BA/BSc (undergraduate) Degrees
- MBA (in any university)
- MPhil Development Studies (in University of Oxford)
- MSc/MFE Financial Economics (in any university)
- MSc Global Health Science and Epidemiology (Oxford university)
- MSc International Health and Tropical Medicine (in University of Oxford)
- Masters of Science Law and Finance (in University of Oxford)
- MPP (Public Policy) (in University of Oxford)
- Degrees leading to professional qualifications in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science and law (degrees like these take 5 years to complete typically)
- Degrees whose requirement includes extended periods away from the University or the UK, including joint degrees with Universities not in the UK
- PGDip/Certificates in any subject
- Distance Learning Degrees
- Supervised research not leading to a degree qualification
A 12 month Marshall Scholarship candidate is required to be registered for degrees that are 1 year in duration. No courses will not be funded in one year scholarships which have time period of 10 months or less, i.e. where the course ends before August. Therefore, please make sure you check the university websites carefully for the duration of the degree in months. Lastly, there are no exceptions to this regulation given by the scholarship committee.
- Commonwealth Scholarship Application Portal for International Students in UK
- Michael & Susan Dell Foundation Grant – Dell Scholarships Program USA
- National Geographic Internships Career Jobs 2022 – Apply Now
- Apply for National Geographic Society Internship & Job 2022
- Free Online High School Diploma Near Me – No Cost for Adults
Value of The Marshall Scholarship:
The total value of the Marshall Scholarship depends on circumstances like area of the student resides. Additionally, the university in which the candidate is studying is put into consideration. However, the approximate figure given by the scholar is about £30,000 per annum.
This amount includes
- A personal allowance that covers cover residence and cost of living expenses at a rate of £1,065 per month
- Payment of all tuition fees as required by the school.
- Travel fares (including flight ticket & train) to and from the United States
- Specific claimable allowances, totalling approximately £3,300, including:
- A grant for education books for your field of study
- Grant for approved travel in connection with studies
- Full Payments of expenses when needed for travel. This will be between place of residence and place of study, provided the distance between the two is reasonable
- Next, a grant is given if required for the cost of preparation of any thesis submitted for examination
- Free Shipping of some property to and from the United States
Deadline To Apply For Marshall Scholarship 2021/2022/2023:
Final submission of the application including the three letters of recommendation and letter of endorsement must be submitted online by 30-September-2021. New date for 2022 session will be announced as soon as it is published on the official website.
Note: 2021 Marshall Scholarship is now closed.
Application form for the 2022 Marshall Scholarship competition will be available in early June 2021.