This is the Commonwealth Scholarship Application Portal for International Students in UK 2022/2023. Any African who wants to study in UK will always notice that it too expensive. Generally, one tenth of the population cannot afford it even though they have good grades & GPA? Well, the United Kingdom commonwealth scholarship got you covered!
Commonwealth Scholarships – Study UK | British Council
According to their official website, the Commonwealth Scholarships scheme is aimed at students from across the Commonwealth nations. This is basically for people who would not otherwise be able to afford to study in the UK.
Visit https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org for more.
Currently, Commonwealth scholarship is among the best known scholarships in UK. Mostly students from low to middle-scale-income families can easily get the commonwealth scholarships. This is to help them pursue their masters or doctoral degree in United Kingdom. Basically, the commonwealth scholarship simply focuses on supporting British international development goals. It is the UK’s primary scholarship scheme known everywhere. The main goal of the commonwealth scholarships is to support sustainable development in other countries as well as attracting outstanding talents back to the UK.
- Michael & Susan Dell Foundation Grant – Dell Scholarships Program USA
- National Geographic Internships Career Jobs 2022 – Apply Now
- Apply for National Geographic Society Internship & Job 2022
- Free Online High School Diploma Near Me – No Cost for Adults
- Donor Scholarships That Pays Off Student Loans After Graduation – Loan Forgiveness Programs
Background of UK-British Council Commonwealth Scholarships:
According to records, 1st September 1958 was the day a speech was done by Montreal Canadian statesman “Sidney Earle Smith” In his speech, he proposed the idea of commonwealth scholarship. The next year (1959), the Commonwealth scholarship was finally established. All this took place at the first conference of commonwealth education ministers (CCEM) which was held in Oxford, Great Britain. This program has been hosted by over 20 countries. And since then, over 25000 individuals have been given the prestigious commonwealth award on merit.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Commonwealth Scholarship:
Basically, any students who wish to apply for the commonwealth scholarships is simply required to read the criteria of eligibility below. This is to help them check their eligibility status.
Who is eligible for Commonwealth Scholarship in the UK?
For an applicant to apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship, he/she must be a citizen or permanent resident of a Commonwealth country. (Use the search box to find the list of common wealth countries). Meaning that you must be living in United Kingdom. In addition, refugees or British protected persons are still be eligible. Most importantly, you are also required to have an undergraduate honours degree with a minimum of second class upper (2:1).
Other eligibility criteria for commonwealth scholarship includes;
- All prospective applicants must be the citizen of commonwealth countries. You can also be a refugee or British protected person. Furthermore, you can be a permanent resident in a developing commonwealth countries.
- As at the time of application, applicant should not have submitted an application previously for registering in any university of UK, India or anywhere else
- If you have been abroad for studies or training on scholarships or their own for a period of six months, the you are eligible to apply online.
Commonwealth Scholarships for U.K Master’s Degree course
- First of all, the age of the applicant must not be more than 40 years at the time of applying.
- Secondly, every intending applicant should have minimum qualification of bachelor’s degree of any course
- Thirdly, candidates are needed to have up to 60% or above in social sciences and 65% or more in science subjects
- Thirdly, all applicants are required to be able to afford study in UK without the scholarship as well
- Please note that only those students are eligible to apply who have received the offer of admission from any university listed with the commonwealth scholarship commission
Commonwealth Scholarships for UK PhD Degree Course
- New applicants are required to be able to afford study in UK without the scholarship as well
- As can be seen above, applicant must be the citizen of commonwealth countries or refugee or British protected person. You can apply if you are a permanent resident in a developing commonwealth countries
- Be aware that only those students are eligible to apply who have received the offer of admission from any university listed with the commonwealth scholarship commission
Fields of Study for Commonwealth Scholarship in the United Kingdom
We have previously told you that the commonwealth scholarship is for the students who belong to low and middle-income families. Every student can pursue masters and doctoral degree for free. This can be possible after they receive commonwealth scholarship in the UK. More importantly, please note that the commonwealth scholarship are offered under the following six (6) themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Growing & Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Helping to Promote global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Assistance in strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity
- Current commonwealth scholarship 2021 Nigeria/Ghana
- Updates on commonwealth scholarship uk 2022/2023
- This year’s commonwealth scholarship 2021/2022
- Official commonwealth scholarship official website
- Where is commonwealth scholarship application portal
- Commonwealth scholarships 2021 application portal
- When is commonwealth scholarship 2021 deadline
- Registration of commonwealth scholarship and Login
How can International Students get Free Commonwealth scholarships in UK?
Getting a free commonwealth scholarship in the UK has procedures. First, you can apply for a postgraduate scholarship from the British / UK government. The UK scholarship cover things like tuition / course feesas together with the cost of living when you study in the UK.
Please Note: International students from the EU are not eligible for these scholarships. However, if you’re from Cyprus or Malta you still eligible to apply for Commonwealth Scholarships. Find List of EU Countries.
Which countries are eligible for Commonwealth Scholarship?
Developing countries are the major target for this scholarship. Commonwealth scholarship awards aspirants with exceptional talent plus potential in various fields. For example, Indian students can get this scholarship to pursue studies in three countries. Namely;
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
The Values of Commonwealth Scholarship:
The commonwealth scholarship is a fully funded scholarship and it covers the following:
- Flight ticket will be made available to the successful winners of commonwealth scholarship from their home country to the UK. Furthermore, the selected candidates will also be given air fair ticket to return to their homeland at the end of their award program.
- The Approved tuition fees: Specific Stipends (living allowance) at the rate of £1,084 per month or £1,330, is for those at universities in London metropolitan area
- Specific Allowance for warm clothing where applicable (winter period)
- Some Study travel grants would be provided to students towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or Overseas
- Several Provision towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas will be approved
- All Students are granted a paid mid-term visit to their home country unless they have claimed. There can also be exception if there’s intended to claim allowances for their child/spouse. if you have received a return airfare ticket to their home country for field work, there might be exceptions.
Students are also granted family allowances as follows:
- Generally, if a scholarship awardee’s spouse is living with the students, a spouse allowance is provided up to 233 euros per month. Furthermore, child allowance is also provided if £233 per month for the first child. There is also £114 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16. This is applicable if, student is accompanied by their spouse and children and they are living with the student at the same address in the UK.
- Secondly, if student is widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £465 per month for the first child, and £114 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if the student is accompanied by his/her children and they are living with him/her at the same address in the UK
Documents Required to Apply for Commonwealth UK Scholarship 2022/2023:
The following documents are required to apply for the commonwealth scholarships:
- The first thing is the Proof of citizenship or refugee status of the applicant
- Secondly, the full result transcripts of applicant which detail all higher education
- Two duly signed reference letters that are required to submit through online application system
- All aspirants are required to have a supporting statement from one professor of the at least one institution named on the application form. Please note that it is required to be directly submitted by the supervisor
- Important: You documents must be in PDF, doc, docx or jpg format before submitting. The size of the documents uploaded on the application system should not be more than 5MB.
Deadline for Commonwealth UK Scholarship Submission:
The deadline to apply for the commonwealth scholarships is at the end of September each year. Finally, to submit the CSC nominations is by the end of December.