Qualify For Netherlands Schengen Visa & Dutch Work Permit – Application Requirements

The Netherlands Schengen Visa Application Requirements: These are the top 10 ways to qualify for NETHERLANDS Visa & Dutch Work Permit. Changing countries by migrating to the Netherlands is now much easier than before. Therefore, if at any time you want to travel to Netherlands & stay there for a duration longer than 90 days, you will have to apply for a Netherlands work visa through Schengen.

First of, what is a work visa for the Netherlands? It is a residence permit assigned to foreign nationals/citizens who shows interest to enter the country for employment purposes.

However, there are several circumstances when you can get the visa along with the Dutch residence permit. In order words, you have to obtain a work permit as well. Notwithstanding, not everybody needs a visa or residence permit to enter and stay in the Netherlands.

Who Requires a Netherlands Schengen Visa & Work Permit?

Going to the Dutch speaking country? If yes, then find out whether or not you require a visa to enter the Netherlands. All these depends on your nationality.

Please note that you do not need a work visa/residence permit to enter the Netherlands if you are from Switzerland or any other EU or EEA country. Even though you will love to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 16 weeks, you have to do the right thing. You can do this by enrolling with the personal records database in your local area and get a Citizen Service Number.

On the other hand, you also do not need a Dutch/Netherlands residence permit if you are a family member of an EU, EEA, or Swiss national. But you will have to get a verification against EU Law (certificate of lawful residence).

Going forward, all other foreign nationals needs a Netherlands residence permit to live in the country. Secondly, an extra Work Permit is required before you can be permitted to work. Some can apply for a Single Permit that combines the residence and work permits into one.

Additionally, some nationals from selected countries also need to request an MVV visa (type D visa or “provisional residence permit”). This comes along with their Dutch residence permit request. However, if you require an MVV, you are additionally expected to take a civic integration exam. This has an aim to test your knowledge of the Dutch language and culture in general.

As an added advantage, it is wise to do a search to see if you will require an MVV and/or the civic integration exam.

What are the Basic requirements for a Netherlands Schengen Work Visa?

Over time, the conditions for the Netherlands work visa change from time to time. This solely depend on the Dutch residence permits that are available for work. Then you can choose the one to apply for. However, there is a set of standard requirements for any Dutch/Netherlands visa that you will have to meet. Then, depending on the type of work visa you will need, there will be additional requirements as shown in the next heading.

The Different Types of Netherlands Work Visas

Basically, all type of Netherlands work visa has their own set of requirements and conditions. They are eight in number. The Netherlands Schengen Visa types.

1. Employment Visa for Regular paid Work (as an employee)

First of all, if you want to work in the Netherlands as a conventional employee (a labour migrant), you will need a Netherlands Work Visa for regular paid work. It is very compulsory.

The conditions for a Dutch regular employee work visa are as follows:

  • At first, you must have an employment contract letter from an employer in the Netherlands
  • Secondly, you need to earn a salary with a “minimum wage” for employees over the age of 23
  • Thirdly, your employer has to show proofs that the position could not have been filled by a Dutch or other EU/EEA national

2. Work Visa for periodical labour

A Netherlands work visa for periodical labour is granted to individuals who will be doing short time work. It is usually a seasonal work in Netherlands within the agriculture sector. A Dutch seasonal work visa can be issued for a maximum of 24 weeks maximum.

The requirements for a Dutch seasonal labour visa may include the following:

  • An employment contract document with an approved employer in the Netherlands
  • Obtaining a Single Permit (a combined residence permit and work permit)
  • You will have to earn a salary within the minimum wage or percentage of the country

3. Visa for Intra corporate transfer

This type of visa is for people already working in other countries. In order words, if you’re working for a company in a country outside the European Union (EU) and will be transferring to a branch of that company based in the Netherlands, you will need a Netherlands work visa.

The requirements for an intra corporate transfer to the Netherlands is as follows:

  1. In this case, you cannot be a national of an EU/EEA state or Switzerland
  2. Before applying, ensure that you’re a resident of a non-EU country
  3. Furthermore, you must be working in administration, as a specialist, or as a trainee
  4. Must have remained employed at your company for at least three months before conveying
  5. Work experience; you have the abilities and experience needed for your position
  6. Wages: Your salary must meet the standards for working as a highly-skilled migrant
  7. Basically, you will be living full time in the Netherlands for the majority of your transfer
  8. There has to be economic activity between your employer and the Netherlands office you have been assigned to
  9. You cannot have had a prior transfer to that company immediately before the application
  10. The branch you are transferring to cannot have been punished in the last 5 years for attacking article 2 of the Aliens Employment Act or for not paying (or insufficiently paying) wage tax or employer insurance premiums
  11. Lastly, trainee employees must follow a trainee program, not a normal employee one

4. Visa for a highly-skilled migrant

Specially skilled migrants are usually known as “knowledge workers”. They are the internationals migrants who will contribute to the Dutch knowledge-based market. Therefore, for you to be granted a highly-skilled migrant, you must be earning a certain amount of income as salary. n the meantime, if you are under 30 years old, you will have to earn a minimum of €3,299 monthly; if you are over 30, since the minimum wage is €4,500.

Some other requirements that pertain to a highly skilled migrant are:

  • One of the major criteria is that You need a contract with an employer or research institution in the Netherlands.
  • Another important things is that the employer has to be an identified sponsor by the IND
  • Then, for scientific researchers: your employment contract is approved on behalf of the institution
  • For scientific researchers: the contract must include the job classification and code following the University Job Classification system (UFO)
  • Doctors in training: the institute you are practising in has been set out by the Medical Specialists Registration Committee (MSRC), Social Medicine Physicians Registration Committee (SGRC) or General practitioner and Nursing home Physicians Registration Committee (HVRC).
  • Another option for doctors in training: you must be enrolled with the Individual Healthcare Professions, also known as the BIG-register.

5. The European Blue Card (Work Permit)

The popular European Blue Card is the type of work permit that allows a non-EU citizen to live and work in any country. This can be within the EU excluding Denmark, Ireland, and the UK. Furthermore, for you to work in the Netherlands with an EU Blue Card that’s been issued from another country, you will require a Netherlands work visa and work permit also.

The Netherlands Schengen Visa Application Requirements: On the long run, you must also meet the following criteria:

  • A company employment contract must be confirmed for at least 12 months
  • A higher education diploma or university degree from a program of at least 3 years only
  • The higher education certificate you have must be evaluated by NUFFIC
  • It is compulsory for you to verify that you meet the standards for practising your profession
  • You must be receiving the required minimum wage amount set for EU Blue Card holders which is €5,272 monthly.
  • Lastly, the branch you are transferring to cannot have been fined in the last 5 years for violating article 2 of the Aliens Employment Act. They must nor be in default for not paying (or insufficiently paying) wage tax or employer insurance premiums.

6. For an orientation year for highly educated persons

If you have completed your studies in the Netherlands, and your Dutch study visa has expired, you can apply for an extra year to look for employment. You can ask for a Netherlands work visa for familiarisation in the three years after you complete your studies. To be suitable for an orientation year, you must have done one of the following:

  • Completed an accredited Netherlands BA or MA program
  • Completed at least one year of postgraduate studies in the Netherlands
  • Have had a previous Dutch visa for scientific research in the Netherlands
  • Acquired an MA degree within an Erasmus Mundus Masters Course
  • You must have successfully completed a higher education program that’s been appointed by the Ministerial Decree
  • Applicants must have completed a study offered concerning the development cooperation policy of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Completed a study in the Netherlands within the Cultural Policy Act
  • Completed MA or postdoctoral studies, or obtained a PhD at a designated educational institution abroad

7. For researchers under Directive (EU) 2016/801

To work in the Netherlands as a researcher under Directive (EU) 2016/801, you will have to satisfy the following requirements:

  • Have adequate higher educational qualifications to be allowed into the doctorate program
  • The Dutch research institution you’ll be researching in is a recognized champion by the IND
  • The analysis project you will be working on has remained approved by the institution
  • You have an employment contract/host compliance with a research institution
  • You will be receiving sufficient monthly income, either from your employer or a grant/sponsor.

8. For self-employed individuals, freelancers, and entrepreneurs

You can apply for a Netherlands self-employment work visa (residence permit) if you intend to stay in the Netherlands to start your own business or work as a freelancer.

The specifications for a Netherlands work visa for self-employed individuals are stricter than other types of work visas. There are certain conditions you need to fill in, and, depending on your case, you may also be qualified for a Netherlands “startup” visa.

See here for the conditions, requirements, and limitations of a Netherlands work visa for self-employment.

How to Apply for a Netherlands Work Visa?

The application for a Netherlands work visa depends on your nationality as well as the type of work you will be accompanying.

To work in the Netherlands, you will need both a residence permit to stay in the country as well as a separate work permit to be allowed to work. However, some aspirants can apply for a Single Permit that combines both of those permits into one. This is called a GVVA and can be issued for one to three years.

In most circumstances, your employer needs to appeal for your work permit or Single Permit. They can do this undeviatingly to the IND after receiving all the needed reports from you. The IND will then forward the application to the Dutch employment agency (UWV) who will assess it and advise the IND on the decision.

Who can apply for a Single Permit (GVVA)?

The foreign workers coming to work in the Netherlands with a visa who apply for a single permit are:

  • Regular labour migrants
  • Interns
  • Practitioners
  • Ministers of religion/spiritual leaders
  • International education teachers
  • Some foreign nationals who work in the Asian restaurant industry

Who needs a separate residence permit and work permit (TWV)?

If you cannot apply for a single permit, your employer has to apply for a separate work permit on your behalf. However, either you or your employer can apply for a Dutch residence permit. If you’re applying yourself, you can do it at the Dutch embassy/consulate in your country.

Those excluded from the Single Permit are (NETHERLANDS Visa & Dutch Work Permit):

  • Labor migrants on a short-stay visa
  • Seasonal workers
  • Students
  • Asylum seekers
  • Intra-company transferees
  • Refugees
  • Workers on an orientation year
  • Family members of single permit holders
  • Service providers
  • Croatian nationals
  • Seafarers.

We have successfully given you details of the Netherlands Schengen Visa Application Requirements: Written above are the top 10 ways to qualify for NETHERLANDS Visa & Dutch Work Permit.